We Are Sunshine

How About That Weather?

Wednesday, May 5th, 2010

2010-05-05 weather copyAlmost 9 in 10 tanning facility owners say the weather has been a factor in their business so far this spring, according to a poll conducted in late April — a finding that underscores the sometimes not-so-marginal impact weather can have on the seasonal tanning business.

Overall, 89 percent said the weather has had an impact this year — although the poll did not ask whether the impact was positive or negative. The other 11 percent said the weather has not yet had an impact on their business.

“It’s a silly poll, really, but just like operating a ski resort or a public pool, weather impacts the tanning business,” Smart Tan Vice President Joseph Levy said. “Rain or sun in the early spring impact the start of ‘season’ for stores, and rainy summers can both drive business into stores and, in some cases, keep it away.”